If you love spring season and are planning your next trek, look no further than Everest Base Camp trek. Everest Base Camp trek in April is one of the best opportunities to experience nature at its best.
Nature exposes its true color with lush green forests and flowering season. The sky is mostly clear, the weather is warm and sunny. The pleasant weather makes April one of the best months for outdoor activities. Spring is one of the peak tourist seasons in Nepal.
Trekkers flock to popular trekking routes like Annapurna Circuit, Annapurna Base Camp, Everest Base Camp, Manaslu Circuit. However, these routes are less crowded than during the autumn.
This time of the year is preferred for the Everest base camp trek because there are fewer chances of rain and snow. The days are warm and sunny. Even the nights rarely go below freezing in lower altitudes of the treks. The trail to Everest Base Camp is covered with wildflower in April. The forests paint red with Rhododendrons.
April is also one of the best months for climbing expeditions. Trekking to base camps of highest mountains is equally suitable because of weather conditions and stunning views. You will meet expedition teams there and see how they are preparing for the ascent.
Table of Contents
Highlights of Everest Base Camp Trek in April
- Warm and sunny weather of summer makes high altitude trekking easy and enjoyable. High altitude activities are fun when you do not have to worry about the weather. May has a lot of greenery in the mountains which means more oxygen and less chance of altitude sickness.
- In the summer, there are some chances of pre-monsoon rains. However, the views will quickly clear offering clean and crisp mountain views. Brief clouds create a dramatic atmosphere in the mountains creating beautiful photo opportunities.
- Major highlights of the Everest regions like Mount Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse, Pumori, Amadablam, Thamserku, Cholatse, Island peak, Lobuche peaks are visible. As the snow line recedes higher, lower areas are lush green creating a beautiful contrast.
- Everest Marathon is usually organized in May. You can participate in this increasingly popular trail running competition. Runners across the world participate in this annual marathon. Who knows, the trophy for the coming season is written in your name!
- May is one of the flowering seasons in mountains. Variety of Rhododendron flower cover the forests of Everest National Park. Mountain slopes, meadows, and forests are green and covered with wildflowers, unlike in Autumn.
Everest Base Camp Weather and Temperature in April
Even the high altitudes are warmer during this month. Up to the altitude of 2000 meters, the daytime temperature is higher than 22 degree Celsius (71 degrees Fahrenheit). The temperature during the night at these altitudes is around 7 degree Celcius (45 degrees Fahrenheit).
Weather is usually warm and dry with least chances of rainfall. Usually, the weather remains stable with the low precipitation. So, you will get to enjoy the clearest views during this time of the year. However, there are some chances of spring showers. Brief rainfall with thunderstorm can occasionally obstruct the views.
However, higher altitudes can get colder. There are fair chances of rain, thunderstorm, hailstorm and snow in high altitudes. So, warm clothes are required. High passes and base camps remain cold throughout the year with the cold wind blowing. We recommend you not to skip your warm clothes even though the winter is gone further north.
Packing List for Everest Base Camp Trek in April
Spring does not mean you wear just a layer of clothes in the mountains. Always remember to dress up in layers. Trekking during the day may get hot and sweaty. Mornings, evenings and nights are still cold, depending on the altitude. Carry fleece and warm jackets for evenings.
Wear strong and waterproof trekking boots. You never know when you will be walking on summer drizzle or over the flowing water.
We recommend carrying a rain jacket, windproof jacket and rain cover for your backpack. As the humidity is higher, wear trekking shirts and shorts that are airy.
Pack these things while you are trekking to Everest Base Camp in April
- Quick drying long base layer shirts.
- Trekking shirts short sleeve
- Thermal underwear – base layer.
- Woolen blend trekking socks.
- Trekking pants convertible to shorts
- Fleece sweaters
- Wind/rain proof overlayer- jacket and pants
- Down jacket
- Warm hat
- Pair trekking boots.
- Headlamp with extra batteries,
- Sleeping bag
- Sunglasses ( UV protection )
- Diamox – for altitude sickness
- Vicks vapor rub
- Diarrhea medicine
- Nasal moisturizer
- Your prescribed medicines
- Foot powder
- Toilet paper
- Microfiber towel
Read more about clothings for trekking here.
Alternative Routes to Everest Base Camp Trek in April
There are a number of routes to Everest Base Camp. You can take any of the routes depending on your available days, fitness and appetite for adventure.
Three Passes Trek
Everest Three Pass Trekking is one of the most adventurous and stunning treks in the Everest region. You will reach Everest Base Camp crossing three high passes above 5,000 meters. Kongma La pass (5,535 meters), Cho La pass (5,360 meters), Renjo La pass (5,385 meters) are the major highlights of this trek along with Everest Base Camp and Kala Patthar.
The spring filled weather in April eases your treks while crossing these high passes of the Khumbu region than in other seasons.
This is one of the most strenuous and longest treks in the Everest region. As it involves crossing high passes, do not compromise with your level of fitness and acclimatization during the trek. When you complete this spectacular trek, you will have something to brag about.
Gokyo- Cho La – Everest Base Camp Trek
If crossing all three high passes are daunting for you, you can skip one or two of them and trek to Everest Base Camp via Gokyo Cho La Pass. Trekking to Everest Base Camp via stunning Gokyo lakes is another spectacular treks. You will cross Cho La pass (5,420 meters).
Additionally, you will trek across other highlights of this trek like Kalapathar (5,400 meters), Khumjung village and Gokyo Peak (5,360 meters).
You will cross one of the three high passes while trekking this alternative route while enjoying the glistening views of Gokyo lakes in April’s sun.
Gokyo-Renjo La Pass Trekking
If three passes are too much for you and one high pass, too little, Gokyo-Renjo La pass trekking is a middle way of adventurous trekking in Everest region. This is much adventurous than straightforward trek to Everest Base camp and returning from the same trail. You will cross two of the high passes, Cho-La pass and Renjo La pass.
These routes have lesser footfalls than the main trail to Everest Base Camp. These trails are less crowded throughout the year than the shortest route to Everest Base Camp. However, this route will need more time and fitness as you will be climbing frequently over 5000 meters.
You will get to walk in the rhododendron blossoms to reach these high altitude treks and gokyo valley in April.
Tips for Everest Base Camp Trek in April
- Do not compromise with dressing up in layers as the weather may get worse any time
- Pack light and airy clothes as the humidity is high and the hikes may get excessively sweaty
- Wear waterproof and strong hiking boots.
- April is a flowering season. If you are allergic to pollens, take precautions.
- Carry rain jacket, poncho, or umbrella.
- Hydrate well and acclimatize before gaining altitude.
- Start your trek early to avoid midday sun.
- Hiring a guide is recommended but not mandatory.
- Get travel insurance before you plan trekking anywhere in Nepal.
- Do not miss sunscreen and sunglasses.
- Work out in advance to prepare for the trek. You can contact us for the guidance on pre-trek training.
- Respect the local culture. Be careful while entering the monasteries on the trekking trails.
- In most of the trekking trails, locals do not accept foreign currencies. So, carry enough Nepali cash during the trek.
- Carry insect repellents. You may encounter bugs, leeches, and other insects in the lower altitudes if monsoon arrives early.
- Do not forget to carry water purifiers/ purification tablets before you go for the treks.
- Learn about the symptoms, preventive measures of altitude sickness. It saves you in high altitudes.
- During the time, the number of trekkers in the region will increase as it overlaps with the expedition season. So, you may have difficult time to find the place of accommodation. So, it is a good idea to pre-book for the food and room.